Take your studies abroad in Egypt and gain the self-knowledge, cultural competency and the linguistic skills necessary for success in today’s ever increasingly global institutions.
The Semester Abroad program is the ideal choice for those who are confident in their ability to thrive while living abroad and are looking to commit to a semester or a full academic year abroad in order to continue, or indeed begin their journey as learners of Arabic. This opportunity is perfect for anyone from university students who would like to aid their studies back at home, to enthusiasts ready to open a new door to the Arab world.
It is a completely immersive program where, beside the formal contact hours, you have the prospect of getting more involved through extra curricular activities and excursions around Egypt held throughout the semester. In addition to this, Arabeya also invites academic experts who will expose you to various aspects of the Arab world through talks and seminars. All of these provide you with great opportunities to practise your language skills in real life situations and expand your awareness of the richness of Arab history and culture.
The course covers all levels of proficiency. Whether you are a university master’s student in Arabic who is looking for the highest degree of fluency, or a beginner looking to gain a multidisciplinary view on your Middle Eastern Studies degree, Arabeya can offer the perfect opportunity for you to further broaden your scope in both academia and research. Study abroad with Arabeya and you will come home with an appreciation and cultural sensitivity vital to life in the 21st century.
Semester Abroad Program Description
A semester is 15 weeks long and thoroughly covers Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) and Egyptian Colloquial Arabic (ECA), alongside a broad choice of electives. This is designed to offer a more formalised and structured approach that runs parallel to Arabeya’s other courses throughout the year, where by the end of a semester, a student is expected to pass the examinations in order to be formally rewarded with Arabeya’s officially stamped Certificate of Education with the student’s name, grade and names of courses.Arabeya has also reserved the choice for students to study a half semester, in this case a student will study 7 weeks and only take the mid-term exam.
Full Semester at a glance
- 15 week course – includes exam weeks and mid-term holiday
- 240 hours contact hours in MSA, ECA and electives – 20 hours per week
- Small group classrooms that do not exceed 5 students at each level
- Total immersion in Arabic culture through:
- Volunteering opportunities
- Immersion opportunities through out of class assignments, seminars and talks
- Extra curricular activities held throughout the semester in:
- Arabic Calligraphy
- Mid-term and end of semester exams
- MSA is based on the Al-Kitaab series
- ECA is based on the Kallimni ‘Arabi series
- Authentic materials are used in MSA and ECA in addition to course books
- 20% of the program is reserved for elective modules. Depending on availability and student interests and level, they can choose:
- Media Arabic
- Extra MSA grammar
- Extra ECA
- Islamic Studies
- A module from one of our supplementary courses
- Arabeya levels follow the guidelines of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
Additional Services and Offers
The full Semester as part of a package also includes:
- Orientation with the Senior Instructor
- Free shuttle service from airport to accommodation
- Hard and soft copy of Certificate of Education with the student’s score
- Full transcript of education sent to university
- 2 weekend trips to Alexandria and Islamic Cairo including the famous Bazaar of Khan al Khalili and the Al-Azhar Mosque (tickets prices to sites are not included)
- Deadline for registration is 2 weeks before the start of the course
We also offer students of the Semester Abroad a 15% discount on Arabeya’s accommodation. In addition, those who complete a full Academic Year Abroad will receive an offer for Arabeya’s Seasonal Intensive courses.
The Calendar for 2018:
- Spring 2018: Feb 4 – May 17
- 18 – 22 March mid term exams (no classes)
- 25 – 29 March mid term break (no classes)
- 13 – 17 May end of term exams (no classes)
- Fall 2018: Sept 2 – Dec 13
- 14 – 18 October mid term exams (no classes)
- 21 – 25 October mid term break (no classes)
- 9 – 13 December end of term exams (no classes)
- Spring 2019: Feb 3 – May 16
- 17 – 21 March mid-term exams
- 24 – 28 March spring break
- 12-16 May end of term exams
Half semester is up to the mid-term exams only